- Site Assessment
- System and Facility Design
- Hatchery, Nursery, and Grow-out Design
- Equipment Selection
- Project Startup
- Operational Protocol
- Operations Support and Troubleshooting
- Production Planning
- Staff Training
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE AND COMMERCIAL FOCUS:
The mission of my company is to assist existing and start-up
aquaculture enterprises achieve their goals by providing experience
and innovation for their molluscan shellfish projects. I have been
intimately involved in the development of molluscan shellfish
hatcheries since their inception in the early 1970's. The design,
construction, and hands-on operation and management of
state-of-the-art hatcheries and nurseries are my strengths. My
background in private hatchery production for over 25 years has
enabled me to understand the need to focus on production of
shellfish and maximization of profits, while continuing with
involvement in and development of cutting-edge technology.
I have been an independent consultant since February 2000, and
continue to be involved in numerous projects on a variety of
species worldwide. Experience, innovation and a hands-on approach
have been the keys to success of most hatcheries in the world. I
design systems and teach staff with maximum attention to detail and
make sure they have the proper technology to accomplish their
Innovative Design Services:
- Flow-through larvae rearing systems for high density production of larvae of all species
- Downwell and upwell setting and juvenile growth systems for clams, oysters, mussels and scallops
- Setting systems for eyed larvae settlement on various substrate types including microchips, whole shells and pvc pipes
- Bottle system to grow oyster seed from post-set to 3 mm using flow-through technology and heat recovery
- Land-based semi-recirculating upwell systems for the production of clam seed
- Floating shellfish seed nurseries including low-cost rafts and trays and powered 'flupsys'
- Commercial triploid production of shellfish
- Continuous flow algae bag culture systems
- Geoduck clam setting and nursery systems
- Energy recovery systems for seawater
Significant and Important Recent Work
- The first commercial scale success using artificial seawater for all areas of a bivalve hatchery including; culture of marine microalgae, broodstock oyster holding and conditioning, oyster larvae rearing, and oyster setting was accomplished in 2016.
- The first commercial scale success using Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS) for the culture of all areas of a bivalve hatchery including; broodstock, algae, larvae, and seed culture was accomplished in 2016.
- Kachemak Shellfish Mariculture Association – Alaska, USA – Schematic Design of a small scale oyster setting facility and nursery for the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas. Algae culture training seminar and protocols for algae culture. Oyster larvae setting training seminar and protocols for nursery culture.
- Linea Blu – Chioggia, Italy – Protocol for setting the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas, as single oysters on shell chips.
- Veneto Agricoltura – Pellestrina, Italy - Hatchery and nursery review and development for the Manila clam, Tapes philippinarum,for the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas, and for the Mediterranean scallop, Pecten jacobaeus. Also, triploid development for the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas.
- Chugach Regional Resource Commission – Alaska, USA – Oyster larvae setting review and recommendations for the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas, and hatchery seawater system heat recovery review and redesign.
- Ocean Protein Canada – British Columbia, Canada – Shellfish hatchery review and recommendations.
- Hawaii Shellfish LLC – Hawaii, USA – Hatchery review and recommendations for the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas.
- Troutlodge Sablefish LLC – Washington, USA – Feasibility Study for a hatchery for the Geoduck clam, Panopea generosa.
- SeaEver Company Ltd – Republic of Korea – Hatchery review and recommendations for the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas.
- Hog Island Oyster Company – California, USA - Conceptual Design of an oyster hatchery for the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas.
- Berwind LLC – Massachusetts, USA – Feasibility Study for a hatchery for the Eastern oyster, Crassostrea virginica.
- Coastal Shellfish Corporation – British Columbia, Canada – Science Advisory Panel member for hatchery improvement for the scallop, Patinopecten yessoensis.
- Marimex del Pacifico – Baja California Sur, Mexico – Pacific oyster hatchery review and recommendations.
- Hog Island Oyster Company – California, USA – Design Development for an oyster hatchery for the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas.
- Oyster Seed Holdings – Virginia, USA – Remote review of hatchery data and recommendations for hatchery improvement for the Eastern oyster, Crassostrea virginica.
- Tralee Bay Hatchery – County Kerry, Ireland – Hatchery protocol review and recommendations for the Pacific oyster.
- Sawmill Bay Shellfish Company – British Columbia, Canada – Hatchery design for the Pacific oyster.
- Metlakatla Development Corporation – Scallop hatchery and nursery business plan review.
- Carlsbad Aquafarms – California, USA – Preliminary hatchery and site review for the Pacific oyster.
- Aquagreen LLC – Mississippi, USA – Preliminary hatchery and site review for the Eastern oyster.
- Aquagreen LLC – Mississippi, USA – Conceptual Hatchery Design for an Eastern oyster hatchery remote from a seawater source.
- Aquagreen LLC – Mississippi, USA – Hatchery design for the first commercial scale RAS hatchery for the Eastern oyster using artificial seawater.
- Jones Family Farms – Washington, USA - Hatchery review and retainer consultation for a hatchery for Pacific oysters, Kumamoto oysters, and Geoduck clams.
- Auckland Uniservices Ltd. – Auckland, New Zealand – Retainer consultation for a shellfish setting improvement system.
- Aquacultural Research Corporation – Massachusetts, USA – Consultation for hatchery improvement for an algae culture system for the Bay scallop, Eastern oyster, and Hard clam.
- Gulf Coast Research Lab (University of Southern Mississippi) – Mississippi, USA – Needs Assessment Study for a hatchery for the Eastern oyster, Crassostrea virginica, remote from a seawater source.
For a more comprehensive project list see resume.
Also, see "Major Accomplishments" in the resume
for a brief summary of some important milestones in
molluscan shellfish hatchery
Terms & Fees:
Fees for services can be negotiated on a fixed cost, an
hourly rate, or on a time plus expenses basis. Payment
schedules and work schedules can be tailored to the
client's cash flow as needed. Please contact Jim directly
for an estimate of fees for your particular project.